Regional Department South - RS
The regional department South (RS) of the State Office of Environment is responsible for authorisation and enforcement duties deriving from environmental legislation applicable to the state of Brandenburg. In particular, its duties cover immission control, waste management, nature conservation and water management.
The part of Brandenburg under its remit covers the rural districts of Dahme-Spreewald, Elbe-Elster, Oberspreewald-Lausitz, Spree-Neiße and Teltow-Fläming, as well as Cottbus, representing an administrative district in its own right.
It is the objective of this department to offer guidance and consultancy services to companies and communities alike when these launch initiatives to further the economic development of the region. Another objective is to guarantee justified demands of the people living and holidaying in this region regarding a healthy environment making for enjoyable living.
An essential responsibility of this department results from a regional feature: work for active lignite mining as well as for rehabilitation measures of mined-out areas. A major part of these efforts is represented by providing areas for nature conservation in the mined-out areas.
The regional department South is mainly responsible for
- carrying out authorisation procedures under provisions regarding immission control, conservation of nature and water legislation;
- monitoring plant with possible effects on the environment;
- involvement in planning and administrative procedures of other authorities;
- special regional duties of waste management;
- water management and hydrology;
- hydrological construction and flood defences, and
- matters of nature conservation with a regional impact.
The Regional Department South managed Wolfgang Genehr.
Landesamt für Umwelt, Gesundheit und Verbraucherschutz Brandenburg, Abteilung Regionalabteilung Süd, Abteilungsleiter Wolfgang Genehr, Tel.: 0355/ 4991 -1300, E-Mail: Abt.RS@LUGV.Brandenburg.de